Head 'em up and move 'em out: Edmonton-style

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

6 degrees of blog-(something that rhymes with 'ation')

Every wonder whether anyone’s actually reading your blog? Whether the various musings you put to paper (er, keyboard) are actually being consumed by someone else? I have to say you’d be surprised at the ways in which someone you’d never expect can come across your words.

The day before I left to come here I had a strange experience. A writer from the Journal happened to be a friend of Mingus Tourette’s, whose play I had written about earlier. He was apparently looking for reactions to Postcards (which was so unfairly maligned by a certain chickenshit writer from SEE who wouldn’t put his name to his ‘review’ – though I use the term lightly) and came across my blog. He went through the whole thing and figured there was an interesting feature in it.

I didn’t really mention this to a whole lot of people because I almost panicked. I had to mentally run through the various postings from this year of blogging to figure out just *how* embarrassed I should be about this. I’ve never used the blog as a personal journal, but of course I was reminded by the writer about my lengthy essay on petit gateaux, the photo of my dogs sporting superhero costumes, etc. I couldn’t help but feel a little naked, a wee bit vulnerable. I’ve been interviewed about asbestos stuff before, and my personal connection before, but none of the interviews have focused on me as an individual. So I was feeling a little insecure about it all.

I needn’t have worried, the article ran yesterday. It was a good one and I was really happy with it, but it does serve as a reminder to be careful what you blog – you just never know who’s reading.

Oh yeah, and one must be especially careful when you’re an “emotional” girl like me, as the asbestos industry called me in their response to my claims that they’re evil corporate murderers. Oh well, at least I’m an emotional person who doesn’t have the blood her hands. Whohoo!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Lolabola* said…

    too funny about the industry call bit. Hey did you read the letter to the editor by Mingus Tourette and then the response in which he was accused of making up his own name? It's all highly entertaining!

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Electrolucy said…

    Oooh, no I didn't! I'll have to do that...sounds like SEE editorship's lookin' mighty stupid these days!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Electrolucy said…

    Dangit, can't find it online...

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Lolabola* said…

    haha I tried that too! Actually there was a bit of explanation about how the author didn't withold his name on purpose, rather the reviews were written by a group of people. It was the author who responded, not the editor.....I love letters to the editor!

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Electrolucy said…

    What a load of crap...Bouchard's an idiot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home