Head 'em up and move 'em out: Edmonton-style

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The streets of Brazil are no place for a girl like me...

I don't mean this metaphorically. I mean literally. The goddam streets here are dangerous for anyone remotely klutzy in nature. And of course, I'm one of the biggest klutzes around. I actually cannot now count how many times I've wiped out completely, let alone just tripped. And one of those journeys to the ground smacked me right down on my knee and laid me out for 3 days. Bleh.

If I venture out onto the streets to avoid the massive chasms and dips that are the sidewalks, I face a whole other minefield. I haven't at all been worried about my safety crime-wise here, it's the traffic that terrifies me! Drivers are absolutely bonkers here. It's little wonder they have the one of the highest rates of traffic injuries in the world. And you know that tendency we all have to turn around and look when you hear a car honk? Well if you do that here you'll end up with a nasty case of whiplash - horns are used more frequently than turning signals.

The basic rule for a pedestrians is:
If you think you have the right of way, you don't. Ever. Never.

Okay. I need to shop now. Sorry for yet again a lengthy delay in my blogging. I've been knocked out by a stupid viral lungey/throat thingey. Meh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home