Head 'em up and move 'em out: Edmonton-style

Monday, February 02, 2009

Roll on to Rolland Garros...

Now I know I don't typically spend a lot of time talking about sports on here. But what happened at the Australian Open final yesterday was momentous.

I’m a tennis fan. No question about it. And more specifically I’m a Rafa and Roger fan. There’s been no better rivalry in sports than the one between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. And so whenever I watch a grandslam final between the two of them I’m pretty emotionally invested. But nothing could have prepared me for last night’s final. After 5 sets, Nadal took the slam. But it was was happened afterwards that truly blew me away.



People have talked about it stealing the thunder from Nadal; they couldn’t be more wrong. Nadal showed himself to be a sportsman in the true sense of the word. Federer showed us all how much the game means to him. One writer certainly nailed it though.

Federer was playing for much more than Nadal. Sure, it’s hard on one’s ego to lose a match. But I think what made this loss so difficult for Rog was the expectations that everyone had placed on him, and the fact that up until that fifth set he played a near-flawless tournament. To have lost this match with so much riding on it must have been a huge personal disappointment. Roger’s reaction was human. Rafa’s reaction was beautiful.

Now, to completely debase this entire discussion: guys who can cry at a moment when they are overwhelmed by passion, like Rog did, are hot. And guys who console other guys at these moments like Rafa did, are super hot too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home